Interior painting requires skill and lots of practice to master. That being said, a motivated DIY homeowner, armed with a few YouTube videos should be able to successfully complete their interior painting project.
The video above was created to help homeowners paint baseboard trim on their own.
If you choose to take on the task yourself you may need to buy some tools and schedule out some time. A DIY homeowner usually takes about 2 days to a professional’s one, as a rule of thumb. Interior painting can be very satisfying, however the success of the project depends on all steps being done correctly, and with strong attention to detail.
While there are “DIYers” out there, many choose to hire a professional to complete their interior painting projects. Whether it be a lack of experience, time constraints, or simply no desire to invest in the tools and time it will take to complete the project, hiring a professional painting company is the choice for many. Hiring a professional painting contractor for your interior painting projects can be very rewarding but you must research and educate yourself on the company you plan to hire. A professional painting company knows all the “efficient tricks” and has all the proper tools to complete the job quickly and with precision. Below are several key points to research when deciding to hire a contractor for interior painting.
- Are they fully insured? It’s important to know you are protected in case your property is damaged or a painter injures themselves on your property.
- What products are used and what is included in your job? Specifically, does the painting company only work with one brand or line of paint for interior painting? If so, why? Sometimes different interior painting projects are served best with different brands or brand lines of paint.
- What prep work is included in your price?
- Will you get a written estimate and is everything clearly spelled out in that estimate? What can cause that estimate to change? You will want to know that the contract lists the total and final price for the project unless you change something about the project after it is quoted. A surprise increase at the end of the project is never a good outcome – there should be strong communication throughout the project so you know exactly what you are getting.
- How about a warranty? Does the company stand behind its work?
- Possibly, the most critical area to research is the reputation of a company before hiring them for your interior painting project. Companies that have been around for a while should be able to get positive reviews. Furthermore, if they have any negative reviews you can learn a lot by seeing how the company responded to the dissatisfied customer.
- Finally, actually speaking to the company can give a homeowner a “feeling” about the company, which should be acknowledged. Specifically, were you able to connect with the company right away or did they get back to you in a reasonable amount of time? Was the first interaction with the company a pleasant experience – were they upfront and did they happily answer all your questions? Did they seem organized and knowledgeable? All of these factors combined should be a good indicator of the type of interaction you will have throughout your interior painting experience with this company.
We hope you picked up some valuable information in this article and can confidently proceed with researching and hiring a painting company to fit your needs, or take on that project yourself! We feel the time spent researching upfront will pay great dividends in the end.